THE PALACE
The Music Hall

In 1913 the Music Hall was equipped with an organ built by the Jägerndorf brothers from Rieger, as few were constructed in Europe. The German Ludwig Schmidthauer, which subsequently toured several times in this room, spoke: "How wonderful it would be if for my concert tomorrow if you could borrow me the organ from Targu Mures, because unfortunately, we do not have one that resembles yours." They needed more seats, and the stage was enlarged during the renovation in 1964. On this concert stage, famous artists have concerted among whom we mention Pablo Casals, Jan Kubelik, George Enescu, David Ojsztrah, and Béla Bartók. The conservatory from Targu Mures had a special relationship with George Enescu. He has consistently supported the artistic efforts of the community to establish and equip the Conservatory, which had the rank of School of Music. No less than seven concerts had him as a performer and the community paid homage by naming the street in front of the palace with his name. The hall is monumental and solemn, built on three floors of the edifice. The ground floor walls are plated with polished carved oak panels, of the height of a man. The lodge walls are dressed in silk, besides being built balconies on floors two and three.

During the period 1950-1989, the concert hall was used for both the Philharmonic performances and artistic groups of ensembles, unions, and state schools in the town, as well as popular cultural activities organized by the Romanian Workers' Party, and then by the Communist Party. The press reported the evolution of large festive gatherings, attended by over 1,000 people to celebrate 5 years since the sign of the Treaty USSR - Romanian People's Republic (02/04/1953). During the cultural and educational visit of the delegation of the Republic of China, led by Deputy Minister of Education and Ambassador of China, "was organized a performance in the concert hall with the participation of choirs, bands of popular games, Romanian, Hungarian and Saxon groups, institutions from all the villages "(02/04/1953). Then the room was used for local and regional competitions such as regional contest of cultural union teams, involving 25 ensembles (22/03/1953) or on propaganda actions carried out in the entire communist bloc: The Opening Ceremony of World Youth Week (21/03/1953).

Here were held regional conferences and meetings with large numbers of participants, such as the Young Workers' Conference of the Hungarian Autonomous Region, between 11-12.04.1953. Representatives of the USSR and the Hungarian People's Republic visited the room several times over this period, either to popularize the cultural activity in their countries – the concert conducted by Viktor Dubrovski on 10/16/1953, from the Moscow Philharmonic or to attend performances of popular dance bands, choirs or the Philharmonic, such as the Hungarian delegation led by Jolan Majla, general secretary of the Hungarian Institute for Cultural Relations with Foreign Countries on 11/30/1953. Spacious, the Concert Hall hosted literary meetings with large crowds, such as the one held on 10/08/1953 at which attended famous writers: Victor Eftimiu Ion Brad, Violeta Zamfirescu, and Jeno Kiss.


Targu Mures Philharmonic concerts with conductors and soloists from both home and abroad, filled the hall. Such was the case of Concerto no. 7 by Mozart and Wilhelm Berger miniatures on 23/10/1953, conducted by Master Mircea Cristescu, from Bucharest, who had as the first violin soloist the Bulgarian Boian Lecev.

Students benefited from the atmosphere of those times, during the student festival "Spring of Friendship,” held between 24-29/04/1973, with classical music, light music, theater, folk dance and modern dance. In the multifunctional hall concerted pop music bands, folk, rock of the 80s: Holocaust, Loredana Groza, Iris, Sanda Ladoşi, and Compact etc.

The high dome decorated with indents evoking the stalactites, painted with linear motifs that alternate with floral motifs, is enriched literally by gold leaf. This labor offers exceptional acoustics for the hall, noted by all who have performed here.



The monumental chandelier is decorated with identical elements arranged on the sides of the ceiling, made of brass and glass, unifying the whole dome architecture.